Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why do squirrels have such jerky movements?

Wouldn't that waste a lot of energy.Why do squirrels have such jerky movements?
Probably because their eyes are on the side of their heads and they have to jerk their heads around so see what they heard. They are prey so they have to be aware about their surroundings. Cars, snakes, hawks, etc. Their life is very hectic.Why do squirrels have such jerky movements?
No, I would say because they always need to be on the look out for danger. Because they must leave their home in the trees to search for food, and it require a lot of searching, they need to be on the alert at all times. I found a baby squirrel and raised him. I had to feed him from a dropper. He died after he ate something he shouldn't have. But I loved him so much. If I hadn't taken him in, the stray cats would have eaten him. It was a wonderful experience because ever since I was a little girl I had been fascinated with them and always wanted to touch one. He was very loving and affectionate. He even gave us kisses and slept with me until he became too hyper and wouldn't let me sleep!
They probably have to naturally be fast and constantly looking around for protection against cats and other animals.


My mom brought in a baby squirrel years ago. It was cute. We raised it. It would crawl all over people, up and down your pants and on your head. We originally intended on just keeping him until he was big enough to take care of himself and then turn him loose but he got so used to people he probably would have never survived on his own outside. We gave him to a local museum that had a petting zoo type area, they took him in and gave him a good home. made him the star of the place. He would do tricks with the workers in front of the kids-kids loved it.
I don't know but have often wondered why squirrels and birds don't build their nests in the same tree. They aren't predators of each other but they do share some of the same foods.
It does waste a lot of energy but do you see how many nuts they eat!!! High in protein and fiber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Go squirrels!


They rock just like you!
I saw a bunch of squirrels cooking up and smoking meth in my backyard...That might have somethin' to do with it

1 comment:

  1. I hate idiots that try to raise wild animals as pets. If a stray cat ate the squirrel so what. I had a high school friend kill a wolves so they wouldn't kill deer. At the same time he hunted the deer. People need to leave wild animals alone.

    ReplyDelete